Due to storm warning parks of Peterhof & the Grand Menshikov Palace are closed today, September 18th.
Today September 18th,2020 the Lower park, Alexandria park, Oranienbaum & the Grand Menshikov Palace will be closed due to storm warning.
Entrance to the Grand Peterhof Palace, the Church Block & the Special Treasury is from the side of the Upper Garden.
Interesting to know about Peterhof
- The first Hermitage in Russia appeared in Peterhof: it was built by the decree of Peter I in the Lower Park 1721-1725
- The first picture gallery in Russia manifested in Monplaisir Palace: a collection of paintings of Peter I included works of Dutch, Flemish, Italian and German artists of the 17th-18th century
- The Neptune Fountain is 50 years older than Peterhof (It was created in 1650 - 1660)
- The Audience Hall is the first premises in Russia, where optical illusion was used in the interior (parallel mirrors)
- Pumps have never been used to supply water to Peterhof fountains. The water comes naturally from Ropsha Heights through a system of canals, ponds and locks
- Total water consumption by Peterhof fountains - 1100 liters per second
- The maximum height of the jet of the Samson fountain - 20 meters
- Fountain masters service 12 440 stone surfaces, rotate about 300 gate valves daily, 60% of which are from the 18th-19th centuries
- The water-supplying system of Peterhof is comprised of 96 kilometers of canals, 16 ponds and 135 different hydraulic structures