Due to storm warning all parks of Peterhof, Oranienbaum & Alexandria are closed on November 19th. Museums are open as usual.

!
Рус
Рус

End of the 1720's, architect M. Zemtsov

The miniature fountains "theTritons", appeared on the banks of the Marly pond in the late 1720's. The sculptures of the four identical boys-tritons, holding flat bowls in their hands, were cast in England in 1721, according to the drawing of the architect J. Braunstein. Originally, "the Tritons" were intended for decoration of the Grand Cascade, however, they were ingeniously adapted for the setting of the fountains, with simple and elegant compositional solution. Four water jets spurt from the bowls, over the heads of "the Tritons".

At the end of the XVIII century, the set-up of the fountains was changed, and water began to gush out in the form of bells. Since then, the fountains received their name "Cloches", that is translated from French as "The Bells." The water spurts and hits on a bronze shutter creating clear liquid bell. Overflowing the sides of the disc, held by the Triton over its head, water surrounds the figure with a thin transparent veil. "The TritonBells" had stood in their places until the war, and were stolen by German soldiers.

In 1954, the sculptor A.V. Gurzhiy, created new bronze "Tritons" by orienting himself with the pre-war photographs. The water used for these fountains, comes from the two Menager water cannons located on the south.